Alternative Minecraft Launcher

Discussion in 'Steve & Alex's Lounge' started by shaila, Aug 18, 2016.

1. shaila

shaila Staff Member

It's not really a surprise to see this, but a new launcher is being developed that is 90+% vanilla, but ignores Mojang's server black listing. The logo looks more like an octopus to me, but it is called SquidHQ.

While I am cautious of any software designed to circumvent reasonable* restrictions (increased risk of malicious code), I decided to test the launcher. Other than some subtle differences, the experience is almost identical to the official Minecraft launcher. I didn't have to make a new data folder or redo my logins or profiles.

Interestingly, SquidHQ also has a server-side plugin. The plugin reportedly allows giving rewards to members for using the launcher. It's still too early to decide if the plugin will be used on Citrine Realm, but if it is, there'd only be aesthetic benefits.

Official website: squidhq.com
    Twitter: twitter.com/SquidHQ
    Source: github.com/SquidHQ

Obligatory disclaimer: While I haven't seen anything immediately concerning about the code for this launcher, I have neither thoroughly reviewed the source nor have any insider access on the launcher. Use custom launchers at your own risk.

* I don't agree with Mojang's server EULA roller coaster, but it is their prerogative to protect their brand.

2. CyberDrifter

CyberDrifter Staff Member

Just the idea that a 3rd party could would have my MC login information would give me pause.

3. shaila

shaila Staff Member

It'd have access to session information, not necessarily your credentials (unless it includes logging of that input). I agree with the point, have to decide how much the source is trusted, though kind of have to go through same weighing of benefits with any client modification.