Amazon Prime or Netflix

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joey M, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I've used both services, which for the most part I really enjoyed my time with Netflix bar the odd issue. Its just I found them to be very frustrating with how they would remove items I tended to watch, especially around Christmas or Halloween.

I also felt it became stale at the time I ended my subscription.

However, Prime could learn a thing or two from Netflix. Their player is very unreliable and tends to crash midway through a movie, or it the audio will become out of sync which is annoying.

When it does work it is a joy but needs further work from them to improve the service.

Which do you prefer and why?

2. shaila

shaila Staff Member

I had Amazon Prime in the past, but it was hard to justify the continued price because my family doesn't shop Amazon very frequently. I honestly haven't watched videos via their service though.

Sometimes the Netflix UI is weird, they haven't always made the best design decisions lol, but overall we don't have much problems with service and we watch enough to justify the somewhat bigger long-term cost. So I expect we'll maintain a subscription for at least a few more years.

3. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

I personally like Netflix and especially some of it's owned content. I liked Orange is the New Black when it first came out.

Amazon Prime was good for me when I got into Doctor Who. Had all the past episodes (from the reboot in 2004??) that I was interested in. For the most part, I don't buy much on Amazon, so the free shipping wasn't a big deal for me.

Both have their pluses. Both lack a solid search feature. But I would have to give Netflix the nod.

4. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

Amazon Prime has some brilliant aspects, its just the overall performance and standard.

The difference between the two services for me reminds me of the UK's battle for sport packages (TV). Netflix is Sky, they have the content and bigger shows. Amazon Prime is BT, they have the potential to be so much bigger but fall short of achieving that.

It is easier to find something on Netflix, search an actor/actress and you'll easily find things. Type a few letters of the title and it's there, as is if you put 'horror' or another genre, it quickly finds the popular options. I was more disappointed to see that they dropped the recommendations, you only really get them now on TV shows.

5. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

I guess I shouldn't have said the search feature, I meant more about the ability to find something interesting. It feels very cumbersome searching and browsing on my Roku. If find more stuff by searching online sites for recommendations than actually finding stuff surfing their listings.

Joey M likes this.
  6. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, I like how Amazon Prime allow you to watch the trailer - they also link films.

NetFlix used to handle this all so much better but they are trying to cut down on the time people stream, as I recall one of their main employees saying that people averaged between 6 or movies per day. I never really garaged out on the service myself, but it was useful to lineup your next movie based on your findings.

Another plus for Amazon Prime (you can add films to watch in the future), just wished they'd fix the player.

7. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

We use AT&T Uverse for our cable system. It's getting very expensive and I'm seeing more and more people that are just getting rid of cable. It seems the only things that I watch live anymore are sports. Starting to consider just going to a couple online streaming services and forgetting about the cable company.

8. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

Over in the UK, TV subscription providers are tricky.

If you lower your TV package, your internet package becomes more expensive. At this stage my family stream more things and I find myself watching more on YouTube than Amazon Prime. I'm actually increasingly becoming annoyed, as I cannot stream anything for longer than five minutes before their player freezes.

I have also considered scrapping my TV package, yet I depend on the internet and there's no way I would pay more.

Plus other providers here are rubbish, they either limited your downloads or they constantly have trouble - this makes life pretty limited. Yet I have moved to EE for mobile 4G, which I use whilst on my travels when my phones connectivity is limited.

9. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

It would be interesting if they could add an app to your television viewing habits and track what shows you watch. Then tabulate at the end of the month how much money you could save by switching to specific online streaming services. For some people, it may not work out. For other people, it might be a huge savings.

You could also find out that there are alot more shows out there that you just don't watch because they are advertised on your current stations you watch the most. I know that I started watching "Orange is the New Black" because of the ads on Netflix. Otherwise, I would have never come across it.

10. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

OK, so I'm probably the last person on the planet to never see "Breaking Bad" but I finally started to watch it. This is where Netflix is a blessing or a curse. I now have 62 episodes that I can binge watch. So far after 3 episodes, I'm almost completely hooked. I'm guessing that I will finish the series sometime around next April. I won't watch an episode every night but I bet I'll watch around 3 a week.

11. TheGamingRow

TheGamingRow Member

I use amazon prime purely because i spend so much money on buying everyday items that it makes sense to make use of their video service and not pay netflix.

they dont add films as quickly as id like them too but as others have said there is room for improvement.

12. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

THIS is the reason I usually get Amazon Prime. Almost always close to Christmas and I find myself doing alot of online shopping, especially at Amazon. When I start adding up the cost savings with free delivery and then the free streaming service that comes with it, it's a no brainer.

13. TheGamingRow

TheGamingRow Member

Yea really good points.

The cost saving to me is a factor. Would really like to see more films and tv shows added as I said above

14. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Yes, I would like to see them add more content. It seems to be the slowest of the major streaming services to add content. I understand that they are using it as an add on to their delivery service but they are missing the point that alot of people are now getting their content from streaming and dropping cable all together.

15. shaila

shaila Staff Member

I got Amazon Prime again earlier this month, in response to it now including Twitch Turbo under the name Twitch Prime, as the value of free shipping plus a free Twitch channel subscription is greater than the $2 to upgrade. I looked a little bit at the movie selection, but haven't watched anything yet. It's kind of curious though, I didn't expect a lot of selection with movies, but the selection of books specifically available free to Prime members seems even worse.

16. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

Netflix seems to have re-branded their logo and gone about getting more content which is a good way to do business. Black Mirror for example is brilliant but it gets substandard towards the end of the series.

That said even when Channel 4 in the UK had it, it wasn't that great all the time.

Prime seems to be having more issues at least with me, even their music service is struggling.

17. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

So I am now on episode 32 of "Breaking Bad". Once I finish the series, I can probably get rid of Netflix, right?? Of course not, there is certainly some other show that I will hear about, give it a try for a couple episodes and get hooked. That is what is brilliant about Netflix, these shows that will take you months to complete.

18. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend 'Black Mirror'.

If I knew Netflix was going to capture this beauty, I'd have certainly stayed with them. Netlix isn't bad, they've certainly upped their game but they need to focus on great movies of their own, many of the Netflix originals are worse than TV or straight to DVD movies.

19. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I just checked out some information about the show and it does seem to be in the genres that I like. The first one said it was a contemporary version of "The Twilight Zone". I really didn't have to read anymore to know that I was interested. "The Twilight Zone" has long been one of my favorite shows.