Buy or Lease your vehicle?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MBSky, Nov 22, 2016.

1. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

When it's time to get a new car, do you like to lease a new car or just but it outright?

Whichever you choose, why do you prefer that way?

2. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I will be purchasing mine, I haven't yet passed my test and I will need to save up. Yet renting makes little sense here, as it's cheaper just save and buy your own. Yes you can rent and get a different car much easier, however its just a little pointless for me.

3. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

The reason that I like leasing is never being out of warranty. I'm just one of those people that seems to have unfortunate luck more often than not.

Seems that just about every time I have someone over to fix something on our house or take a car in for repairs, they are usually saying something like, "I've never seen this before" or "that's really unusual."

The last two cars I bought, the month that they were paid off both had major issues that I basically had to have the dealership tow them away. I felt like I was making the right decision and could handle the minor issues along the way but to have a car basically become worthless the month it was paid off was difficult to accept. Especially when it happened a second time.

4. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

There is that buddy, something which does make valid sense.

I'm lucky that repairs wouldn't be an issue, as I am confident I could fix it or if I couldn't - I have friends who are mechanics. That said in the UK, its quite costly from what I know to rent and even without repairs, I think its cheaper for insurance reasons if its your own. I know the company you hire the car from will have its own, however I am certain drivers will need their own cover in order to exchange if the worst does happen and its involved in an accident.

5. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

So far, we've been fairly lucky with our leases. We've done it for on and off about 20 years. It's almost like the car companies push one way and then push you back the other way from time to time. Right now, it's cheaper to lease than to buy with the monthly payments. If you are not able to get 10 years out of a car, it's probably much better to lease. But there was a time that the costs went up to lease and it made more sense to buy.

The other issue was turning in the lease at the end. We've sent some cars back with minor wear and tear
    that was noticeable but were told "no problem." At other times, it seemed like they were getting out the magnifying glasses to find any real (or imagined) damage, just to charge us an extra fee. Fortunately we haven't been stung too bad on those fees yet.