How important is internet privacy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MBSky, Sep 16, 2016.

1. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

There was a time early on when internet privacy was the most important thing to many people.

I always remember a cautionary tale from the early daysof the internet in the late 90s:
    A story about a girl that chatted in the AOL chatrooms and gave out all of her personal information; her name, sports she played, her jersey color, number and dates of games. She was almost abducted by an older man who came up to her after one of her games. He said he was a friend of the family. He seemed nice and knew all the details about her. But she was lucky that a parent of another player at the game saw her talking to the stranger and pulled her away. They called the police and the man was arrested. They found out he had been reading these chatrooms and stalking the teenage girls.

The moral of the story was that you shouldn't give out your private information on the internet. Flash forward almost 20 years and nearly every kid in America could be approached in this manner. It seems internet privacy just doesn't matter to most people anymore.

So how important is internet privacy to you?

Derpy_Stepdad likes this.
  2. shaila

shaila Staff Member

I think it's a matter of balance. It's getting rather difficult to live under a rock without losing a lot.

Some of my information is public as matter of being a property-owning adult. Including I do have intentionally public information for domain WHOIS (not my private residence though) . The important thing is that I'm choosing to reveal this information as a relatively mature person, including evaluating whether the risks are worth the benefits.
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of people with "more to lose" and a lot that have no clue how much of theirselves is easily available. I will tell people directly that there is no such thing as complete anonymity on the internet.

3. CyberDrifter

CyberDrifter Staff Member

I had pizza for dinner tonight and did not post it n the internet (till now).

shaila likes this.
  4. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks it's the "safety in numbers" philosophy. As long as everyone out there is putting this information online, the odds are that the one crazy person in my area will find someone else to pester and stalk.

For me, I still prefer anonymity. It's more fun to say what I really believe and I don't have to worry too much about someone banging on my door because they disagree with my views.

5. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

Privacy in general is important, my house and gardens are private - I keep my waste safe due to privacy and scammers. I keep my work details private, so it's only natural for me that I take my privacy seriously on the internet because it's just as important.

I'm quite locked down on Facebook, I'm wary of certain sites but that is just a case of not ignoring the modern risks now.

6. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Just recently had someone trying to cause me some problems online and offline.

The internet can make people feel very powerful and try to destroy other people. Sometimes it feels like a scene out of a Western movie where it's almost a lawless society.

7. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I've come to believe that the internet encourages fruit cakes, as before things like stalking seemed to be quite a rare thing. Yet even I myself have had issues with people cyber stalking (which is quite hard because I vary rarely post under my real name) but fake profile tools and things like that have been quite common.

Not for any real reason mind, just very boring individuals.