Love of this forum software

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Derpy_Stepdad, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Derpy_Stepdad

Derpy_Stepdad Partner

I really love the look of this forum software despite the pretty hefty price tag of buying a license for it but I was never very sure of the process of setting it all up I have always used premade modules for forums. So I have 0 experience with setting up any type of forum software, but have played around a bit with the back end of a webserver.

2. shaila

shaila Staff Member

The initial purchase of each license has been a little bit of a tough decision, but the price for renewing update support isn't too bad and I haven't seen any other general CMS + forum software that's as polished as this. The only software that comes close is Burning Board, but there were some things that bothered me about it when I tried it.

3. Derpy_Stepdad

Derpy_Stepdad Partner

Yea it's hard to justify a base price of $150 for a community to me. I don't ever see myself using this software I can't afford it.

4. TheMayanMisfit

TheMayanMisfit New Member

You can get a second hand license fairly cheap.

5. Derpy_Stepdad

Derpy_Stepdad Partner

yes but i would rather the money go to the devoloper rather then a shady third party that might not even give them a cut of it

6. shaila

shaila Staff Member

To be clear, there's an official way of transferring licenses. A seller gets part of their investment in the license back and the buyer gets a license for (usually) cheaper than directly buying one fresh. The developers don't lose money from the transfer, as the transferred license is already paid for and presumably the new licensee will pay renewals on the license.

There are risks of course, buyer could revoke payment or seller could refuse to make the support ticket for transferring the license, but the chances of getting scammed can be reduced with checking reputations and avoiding people that seem to have suddenly appeared on the net yesterday.

7. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of XenForo, I did go through a spell of liking VB when they released their version which had a CMS but I never actually used the licence.

XenForo for me seems quite basic and old fashioned (with some brilliant features thrown in).

Though it feels mostly felt, I have to say Citrinerealm.com is one of the best I've seen using it however.

8. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

I like the layout of this forum too. Very nice and simple. Some of the forums that I see get a little too complicated for me. I just want to see what everyone is posting. When I have some extra time, I may kick the tires a little bit but the reason that I am here is to chat back and forth with everyone. Don't need tons of bells and whistles to do that.