Retro gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joey M, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

Does anyone crack out old retro games or game systems?

I really enjoying going back in time and playing on old PC games, or even Mega Drive games - its a shame my Spectrum broke during the year 2000 because I enjoyed that. Perhaps not the loading times but the games was very addictive, can you imagine children of today playing one? LOL

2. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

I had an Intellivision as a kid. I always thought it was superior to Atari at the time. The games were addicting and hours would pass by in the blink of an eye.

In the last few years, they released throwback machines that looked like the old system and played the old games. I've wanted to buy one to try it out but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Part of me is afraid that it will ruin that feeling of nostalgia I get when thinking of those old games.

3. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

That's a flash back because that's one of the first things I played, but I never really liked it - the only decent thing was the tennis type game where you hit the ball back and fourth.

My son has a clone PSP which plays retro arcade games, its actually quite good.

The actual licensed gaming systems are well worth it, you can usually pick them up for a fair price - there's a mega drive system on Amazon which has virtually every game released and its very much fun.

4. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Thinking back to a couple PC games I played, the best two were "Command & Conquer" and "Warcraft 2". I remember a few buddies would all bring our computers to one networked house and setup all the machines so we could compete against each other (using a modem was really bad back then). Then one of the guys got a great speaker system for each room. We played all night and had no idea how many hours had passed. They were by far the most addicting games I ever played.

5. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Interesting that this thread came up recently. Apparently Nintendo just came out with NES Classic Edition with 30 built-in games for about $60. The problem is that it is selling out everywhere and very tough to get a hold of. Those that had these early Nintendo systems will surely enjoy these retro games.

6. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

Modern games seem to be all the stories they tell, rather than them being addictive - probably how they are dealing with the narrowing interest in certain genres. I mean RPG's there was Final Fantasy, Vandal Hearts and many other great titles but these days they are being diluted to the point its only the story (not the gameplay for me) that keeps you playing.

I wished Vandal Hearts would get another release, there's no turn based game like it IMO.