Standard TV or SmartTV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joey M, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

These days you can't avoid the word 'smart', its basically used to describe anything that beats the traditional way - example some smart watches aren't actually all that impressive. However, it seems many people I know opt for a smartTV thinking the price is often worth it because of the word 'smart'.

Which I probably should add, I do own a smartTV as my main television but despite the size, all it really comes wi-fi and a select amount of applications.

I also own two standard tv's and one of them has an 'Amazon Fire Stick' which basically makes it exactly the same as the smartTV (for much less in terms of cost). I'm wondering what folks here own and if they think its worth throwing away old standard tv's in favour the smart ranges (which I think is a waste personally). Thoughts?

2. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Last time I looked at TVs, I looked for a very long time trying to find out the advantages of a "smart TV". Most of the stuff they had was already on my old TV and the rest of the stuff was apps that I just didn't see myself using. I tried to picture whether there would be some time in the future that I would adopt that stuff but I just couldn't picture it.

So I went with the basic TV and got a little bigger screen. As long as I can access cable, Netflix, and the sound is decent, I'm good to go.

3. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

This is how I saw it also, however my last TV stopped working whilst away on holiday and when it came to replacing it - the stores here just didn't sell regular tvs, just various kinds of Smart TV's.

4. TheGamingRow

TheGamingRow Member

I use a smart tv, i find it very useful for streaming tv shows or movies from my home media server or my amazon video account.

Its also useful for watching youtube clips and going through family photo albums.