What do you donate to?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MBSky, Dec 3, 2016.

1. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Seems appropriate for this time of the year, so what are your favorite charities to donate to?

For me, we always give to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and the local animal shelter. Also donate frequently to the local youth sports programs.

2. shaila

shaila Staff Member

Honestly don't donate very frequently to organized charities, aside from taking gently used stuff to thrift stores. I do donate monthly to individuals though.

3. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

That is the best kind of donations. I got into an argument with someone a couple years ago about how unfair it was that giving to a charity that spends a ton of money on salaries and such is a tax write-off but give something to your neighbor and it's basically ignored.

Personally, I've never taken a tax write-off for any of my donations but it frustrates me that we don't encourage people to do more for their neighbors while a couple rich people can run a "charity" that really just lines their pockets and other rich people feel good about themselves when they really haven't done much.