What "Generation" Are You?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MBSky, Dec 29, 2016.

1. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Not sure how this will be viewed by people from other countries as I'm not sure they follow any of our "generations" or do they have their own idea and definitions for age groups in their country. For Americans, what "generation" do you belong to?

Here is a loose definition of the "generations":
    Greatest Generation (1920s to 1946)
    Baby Boomers (1946-1964)
    Generation X (1965-1984)
    Generation Y (1975-2004)
    Millennials (1982-2004)
    TBD (2005-present)

Apparently, some people can belong to three different generations but their attitudes are what define them.

For me, Generation X.

2. shaila

shaila Staff Member

I guess from those ranges, I'm Y or Millennial. I've never paid much attention to those labels though, as they sound like a way of dressing up age generalizations and discrimination.

3. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Definitely generalizations but I'm not sure about discrimination. I know that many businesses and Universities have highly detailed "maps" of potential customers/students based on these generations and market to them differently.

I came across the definitions of these generations last night and was surprised to see that there was overlap between three of them. My best guess is that it was because of what generation their parents were from.

4. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I actually think it's pretty interesting as I have watched a lot of videos on this subject - there's some that can be found on YouTube that quite astonishingly prove certain scientific aspects of our lives, others reveal why certain generations are better with technology, whilst some of the same bracket struggle to understand their offspring's technology advances.

I'm quite lucky that I wasn't born 3 years earlier when my brother was, yet again that I wasn't born in the area 90's.

This said I am a Millennials.

Did you know each generation supposedly has certain traits which the others simply do not? I realise that this may seem far fetched but I have noticed the more I learn about it, the more its scarily convincing. I share a lot of traits with friends who have similar interests, yet I barely reassemble my brother who was only born 3 years before me.

5. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

I agree about the certain traits. Reading about it, apparently there are some markers that dictate how we react to things. One example is 9/11. Some people were alive and remember it well. Others were alive but too young to remember it. That is one of the dividing lines and it makes sense.

Obviously the Baby Boomers make the most sense since that is when the war ended and everyone started having babies.