What used to be fun but isn't anymore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MBSky, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

What used to be fun but isn't anymore? This should be something that was fun for years and now has not been fun for years. So you can't say "Pokemon Go".

One thing I really liked was going out into the snow. I could wonder around for hours, build a snowman, have a snowball fight, or go sledding. Now, I would rather stay inside and only look at it through a window. It's not so much that I don't enjoy snow, I actually just can't stand the cold. Never bothered me for years but over the last few years, it's just so brutal that I would rather avoid it.

2. shaila

shaila Staff Member

This is a tough one. Most of my interests eventually come back after fading.

The closest thing I can think of relates to realizing late that I had a food allergy. There's a lot of specific brands of food that'd I enjoy before (not realizing they were cause of frequent unwellness) and now just knowing their effects is all the discouragement I need.

MBSky likes this.
  3. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

Facebook for me.

It's becoming worse than MySpace in terms of bugs and errors.

Yet it's almost like being at school, and with the games now available on Android, this really impacts the site. I only get enjoyment from my various pages, my personal one is boring as sin and very tedious. Mind, I guess this says more about my friends (most surround from the football team we support) but when the club does poorly, it's like a social mix of people biting at things which is utterly pointless.

And I don't follow trends or what the media say.

4. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

I don't want to say it's not fun anymore but being an adult with kids is a much different Christmas experience than being the kid. Just thinking about it the other day how we would get up in the morning and see a sea of presents downstairs under the tree. There always was that one present that we played with or used for hours.

Now, the real joy is watching the kids faces light up. As adults, our presents are mostly useful things that we need around the house instead of those great toys of the past.

Joey M and shaila like this.
  5. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I learnt something myself over Christmas.

My children are 10, 8 and 5-years-old. They are brilliant, very well behaved and considerate compared to other peoples children (unbiased) - I think much of this is down to my family being so rounded but I also used to work in a disabled care home (so they met people which taught them many lessons about life).

Yet all children these days want to avoid board games, they want to win and losing flips a switch.

Nothing major with mine, but it's certainly no longer fun. I used to love losing as much as I enjoyed winning, I liked the laughs and unknown about board games but I think modern consoles have ruined this.

6. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I'll sound old now, however I'm currently listening to Amazon Prime Music.

It's made me realize that I just hate modern music, including most of the pre-recorded radio stations (did you know this is very common in the digital age?). Over here, I can only stand Absolute Radio. When I get bored of their main station, I will switch to their 80's or 90's station. However, I hate how generic pop has taken over with mangled nosense and very poorly written lyrics.

Very few modern songs will be remembered, why? Music used to be and engaging, now it's all about the money and the glamour.

Record companies choose looks over ability and this really kills the joy of listening to music.

7. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

What is interesting about that is that we were supposed to be in an age where the record companies didn't have a stranglehold on the market. It almost appears now to be worse than anytime before.

With that said, I still do enjoy some music today. I like to listen to a wide variety of music and I can still find stuff that I like. The one thing that kind of drives me nuts is that we have to have a rapper in nearly every song. Personally, I like rap and grew up listening to it in the 80s but not every top 40 song needs the "guest" rapper.

8. Joey M

Joey M Well-Known Member

I'm quite the fan of Frank Turner, he writes and sings music which people can relate to.

Not all music these days is dull and boring, however most of it is and good music doesn't get the recognition it once did. Boy bands are sickly irritating (they make the 90's acts look like The Beatles). Pop music is strange, dance music is just a whining repetitive noise and even rap isn't good now. True gangsta rap was epic, you could relate to it and the more toned back rap was enjoyable - its a crazy time for music.

9. MBSky

MBSky Well-Known Member

Just wondering if our kids are shaking their heads at us wondering when we got so old?? LOL.

Seems most people think music was better when they were kids. Maybe this is the exception where music really was better in the past!